Jun 22, 2006

Seats Assigned!

I guess the first time I boarded SouthWest airlines is around 2003! One airlines company, that went really very strong during those periods of economy slowdown and didn't even come close to Chapter 11! Well, even Continental was equally good and... Let's discuss just SouthWest!

My first flight experience in SouthWest was a bit different! At that time, my preference went to SouthWest, because they were the only ones who were allowing passengers to check in 3 luggages - Three luggages for domestic travel and for great travel deals!

On the date of travel, after the initial check in formalities I had my boarding pass!

I was travelling one-way and so, there was more surprise for me at the airport! Any guesses? Well, it seems my boarding pass had an 'encrypted' code, informing the baggage screening area officials that am a one-way traveller! So, they pulled me aside for special screening:):(! Till date, got no idea what that code is.

More surprise!!! When I was looking for the code, I realized that there is no seat number in my boarding pass! I was about to board the flight and got the details for seat allocation clarified! Well, it seems I can take whatever seat I want! Couldn't believe my ears! But I was glad, because I walked into the flight as one of the first set of passengers and so, picked a comfortable seat in the first row! Cool deal! And there was no business class too!

More & more surprises - The way the stewards entertained the passengers with some songs and few steps of dances! A very dynamic entertaining exciting travel on that day!

Back to that seat allocation - I was a lucky one on that day! But how many times can I get so lucky? Just think about the last guy who is walking into the flight! His/her flight experience will be awful with the worst seat he/she could think of! The travel can be more than a frown! From the day of it's business around 1970, SouthWest have had this model of 'No Seat Allocation'!

And now, there is change of stand! Passengers are going to be assigned seats! The reason behind this, I guess should be two fold. One to help those frowning passengers and probably to invite more passengers who prefer assigned seat processes! The second should be probably to improve the boarding time!

Hmmm... The areas to be concentrated for this transition are computers, database, online seat allotment & check in, training personnel... BTW, do their flights have seat numbers:)?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once when I was returning to Belgium from Denmark. The computers in Copenhagen airport were down so they could not issue boarding passes with seat numbers.

The staff announced that we were all special and that we could choose any seat that we wanted! Huh! But got to give it to them, it was a nice way to put it.

Europeans are normally very well behaved and patiently wait in long lines to board planes. Well on this day I got to see the true colors. ;-)

As soon as they heard the announcement everyone dashed towards the gate. Everyone were pushing their way through. Man they are quick when they want to. This reminded me of the metro trains in Chennai.

Well with a difference. I am six two, skinny but still I can manage to push my way into the train in Chennai. But in Europe the guys are tall, big and strong! It was the toughest plane I have ever boarded. :-)

Jagan M Narayanan said...

Hmmm...
Well, SouthWest does have a process. They do call people by Group numbers and so, it won't be that much of a rush.
And people in 'Groups' board the plane in lines even when they know that the seats are not alloted.
Probably, there is some difference in Americans!