Apr 30, 2006

Next Gen DVDs & their Early Adopters!

This aspect, is to my surprise and I'm not sure if my knowledge on the US market is a bit hazy. Check this out.

I had already put a post on Toshiba's HD DVD and its early entry into the market against Blu Ray. And I do understand, that there are going to be some early adopters for HD DVD. But what diverted my attention on this article is, the ages of people (early adopters) who have been asked for their opinions - 20 to 30. Wow - I know they are just out of the cool age group and my thinking is, they would like to build up their career, save, analyze before they buy products etc. But, it looks like the age group I'm talking about are THE tech geeks of US, who are ready to invest & experiment. At the same time, I'm not sure how a 22 year old gets 500 bucks to buy the high tech DVD player and the respective DVDs, which from my perspective, is not mere pocket money for someone who might have hardly started making his/her career!

I guess, (may be) I'm still in Indian mind set where the 20's age group really starts to think about future investments. There is a whole new topic in this because the Indian youth mind set is in transition. They do think about future life & investments, well, not via the regular means - daily office visits and monthly salaries, but via some new risky investments - start businesses with the help of angels & ventures. A research pinpoints, India is in 3rd spot for start ups. Something, that is going to revolutionize the world!

Atleast from the DVD player product perspective, I would wait for blu ray to come out, wait for some reviews and then finalize.

No comments: