Oct 11, 2007

Cars' Onstar

There was a day in US when I went for an auto show and I did get a chance to drive any car I like. There were so many options that I had to run for next choice because I had that only day to drive the best & the luxurious cars of today.

In that auto show, I had my first experience of OnStar technology in one of the GM cars. I was in the car which was central locked. On press of the OnStar button, a customer service rep started conversing. I asked about the location of the car and they could tell that. So, now I really wanna test them and so asked them to unlock the car & start the ignition. Voila! The next moment all doors showed unlock & the car started. How nice!

And now the technology has taken one more step further by controlling the speed of the vehicle. As of now, they have taken this to a level where a stolen car can be stopped (by not allowing fuel to flow to the engine) from remote location, ofcourse after getting confirmation from the car vehicle owner & the cops.

I think this technology should become more sophisticated where if the car exceeds the defined speed limit in the location by more than 5Miles/Hour, then warning should be shown to the driver and if the driver continues to do the mistake for more than a specified time, the car should automatically start slowing down and go to auto cruise at the defined speed limit. And we can take this a lot more further...

No comments: